Sunday, 18 September 2011

Sometimes I get lucky

On Friday night, I had to work in the bar. Usually, I work there during the week, but every now and then I jump in and do a Friday or Saturday night. On weekends we don't need to close the bar at 02:00 a.m. so it's basically open end. Usually I get to close between 4 and 6 a.m. on weekends. Admittedly, it is quite exhausting for me. I'm more a night than a morning person, but definitely not late, late night. Generally I need to be in bed around midnight, if not earlier and I rarely stay up until past midnight if I'm not working in the bar.

So I wasn't necessarily looking forward to spending a long night in the bar, with all the people. People are exhausting and on a long night like that, I tend to turn into a hermit for the rest of the weekend, wanting to see nobody but my bf. I get stressed out by people if I spend too much time with them. On Friday night, things were refreshingly different though. A group of eight people came in early. There were two women, the others were men with big beards, tatoos and Heavy-Metal band t-shirts. Most of them were quite big and looked almost scary. It turned out they were from Finland and had travelled to Germany for some concert or Heavy Metal event.

They stayed for the rest of the night, except for one of the girls and a small, slim man who left early. The others stayed and asked me to play their favourite songs which they would sing loudly. The amazing thing was that they were in such a good mood, so lively and happy, but they didn't misbehave in any way. They just had fun, bought loads of drinks and completely enjoyed their time in the bar. I had to take a few photos of them and the guy who had the camera took a few photos of me as well. They were really friendly and the best thing was that they were just enjoying the time they had in the bar, planning on going to the airport in the morning. I asked them if they had booked a hotel and they grinned and said "Yes, here!" At some point in the early morning, they asked me to call them a taxi and they shook my hand and the three biggest men even gave me hugs to say goodbye. It is hard to describe why I was so impressed, I think it was just how they were enjoying their time, how friendly they were bathing in the moment of being there, in a Heavy Metal bar.

I hardly felt tired throughout the whole night. It was as if I could go on forever and it was really amazing. I tidied up while listening to music and I was still completely awake and hyper when I cycled home. Admittedly, that wore off and by Satuday afternoon, I was crashing.

Still, it was pretty much one of the best nights I'd ever had working in a bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment